John Howard graduated from Pacific University in 1972 and obtained his Juris Doctor in 1979 from Ventura College of Law. He was admitted to the bar in 1979 and to the U.S. District Court, Central District of California, in 1980. He had been in private practice since 1980 until he joined the firm as of counsel in 2014. John was named to the National Trial Lawyers “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” in 2014. He was named to the Southern California Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in Southern California from 2010 to 2017. John is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
John was a Lt. Commander in the United States Naval Reserve from 1987-1999. In 1987 he served as Past President of the Ventura County branch of the Arthritis Foundation and has coached Varsity Football and Baseball for Villanova Preparatory School from 2003 to 2014. John was voted Pro Bono Attorney of the Year by the Ventura County Bar Association in 2011, received the Civility Award from the American Board of Trial Advocates (California Coast Chapter) in 2010, was voted Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Ventura County Trial Lawyer’s Association in 2006. He was named Trial Lawyer of the Year in 2011 by the California Coast Chapter of ABOTA and has served as National Representative for American Board of Trial Advocates since 2005. John also served on the Ventura County Judicial Nominations Evaluation Committee (2002-2008), served as President of the California Coast Chapter of ABOTA in 2004, President of the Ventura County Bar Association in 1997, President of Ventura County Trial Association in 1992, and as a Delegate to various State Bar Conventions. John and his wife, JoAnn, have a daughter and a son and live in Ojai.
Representative Jury Verdicts:
- McCoy v. Caltrans – Verdict in excess of $22 milion – Dangerous condition for public property
- Mills v. Gutierrez-Hermosillo dba Pizza Hut – Verdict of $7.76 million – Record verdict in Tulare County in wrongful death action
- Mangum v. Dayton Hudson – Verdict of $5.2 million – Employment case
- Amy Doe and Claire Doe v. Wiley – Verdict $5.17 million – Sexual molestation case
- David v. Hernandez – Verdict in excess of $3.3 million in Automobile v. Semi accident
- Sanchez v. Hagel – Verdict 1.87 million Automobile accident
- Fernandez v. Carl Warren & Co – Verdict $1.49 million – Insurance bad faith
- Katz v. CVS – verdict of $1.19 milion – Fall Caused by store employee
- Cabral v. Moorefield Construction, Inc – Verdict of $1.1 million – Construction accident.
- Sirott v. CA Dept. Of Transportation – Verdict of $1 million – Bicycle accident resulting from dangerous condition on public property.
- Stephenson v. Pedraza – Verdict $1 million – Pedestrian accident.
- Schlag v. Jack In The Box – Verdict $898,000.00 – Slip and fall.
- Martin v. Cal Coast – Verdict $880,000.00 – Motorcycle accident.